Friday, December 3, 2010

Working Class Girl

So, as you might have guessed from the title of this post I am now a working girl. Who'da thunk it? Naturally I wowed them with my knowledge, experience, and speech skills. Not really. Maybe the whole knowledge and experience thing. Anyways so, there is a lady in both my phonetics and language development class. We talked but never really too much. She sits like 3 rows in front of me and always gets better grades than me. So obviously, I would avoid her because I tend to put my foot in my mouth and say the wrong things. I really do have a problem with this. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't have a filter. I say whatever comes, so the fact that they hired me after they spoke to me for 40 minutes is a miracle in and of itself.

Where was I? Oh. Ok. So the lady, Alisa asked me randomly if I wanted a job; to which my reply was yes. She gave me a brief job description, and another lady's email to send her my resume. I rummaged up my resume (which needed some twiqueing because I haven't used it since high school... don't judge) and sent it to her. She almost immediately called me and set up an interview for the next day.

I was surprisingly not nervous at the interview, and just went with the flow. At first I didn't think that I would get it. I received a call that same evening, that I didn't answer because my phone was in a different room, saying that they would call me tomorrow because they hadn't made the decision yet. I thought for sure that I was going to get booted. It was like the "I'm telling you I will call you tomorrow to tell you that we didn't pick you so it looked like we struggled over the decision to let you go" type call. ANYWHO, so she, Jami, called me earlier this afternoon and asked me if I would like to accept the position. I said yes. Inside I was screaming "YES! YES! YES! WOOT WOOT!!" just because this is almost what I will do with my degree so obviously I love it, and want some experience.

My first day is on Monday, Dec. 6th where I will be trained, go through a background check, and be fingerprinted. The process is so extensive because I will be working with kids. But not only that, I will be working with kids who have disabilities. I will be working as a developmental therapist to children, adolescents, and adults with any type of developmental disability, often one on one. Maybe they are afraid I would kidnap them or something? Doesn't matter 'cause I am too excited! I start shadowing with another therapist on Wednesday. I can't remember his name but he is around my age or older (20's for sure) and is a student, so we should get along great. Unless he is a weirdy. I seem to attract those.... hmm... maybe I should look into that....

So be very excited for me! Cause I get to help kids with disabilities! Which is important!

I'm just sayin'

1 comment: